(This post contains affiliate links, if you would like more information about any of this, please see disclosure policy)
Stay at home dog mom
Being a dog mom is incredible, being a stay at home dog mom with a chronic illness well.. that can be a little more challenging. Today I wanted to tell you all about the essentials and tools I have that are truly lifesavers for me and helping me pull off being a dog mom. These tips and tricks I know will be sure to help you as well in being the best dog mom you can be!
So first of all, yes! Yes, I am that overly obsessive dog mom who treats her dog as her child because to me he is! I can’t have kids and he is the next best thing, I wish I could have more dogs but he can be quite a handful at times. This right here is my incredible little man Ruger, he is with me at all times, he protects me and he actually should be a service dog because of some of the things that he does when I am home alone.
All about Ruger
Top Items you will need as a dog parent
Now that you know more about my son, I want to share some tips and what I always have in my house to make sure I am a good dog mom for Ruger.
- The first thing I learned, especially when Ruger first came home to live with us. I like to give him treats he is just so cute and it is so hard to say no to his puppy face. So I made sure that I started a subscription with Chewy and Amazon. I knew that I would be buying a lot of treats toys etc..
- Ruger has ALOT of fur when you brush him you can seriously build another dog with all the fur that comes off from him so I have four specific brushes I use that help me keep his coat nice all year round.
- The next thing is that his toenails grow pretty quickly and going to the groomer can get expensive. I use this tool and he will sit calmly and let me clip his nails.
This is one of my favorites it is so nice to be able to not have to put batteries in. Everything is charged by the USB.
- Dog toys! My dog loves dog toys, but the ones that I like the most are;
This one is a brain activity one. The dog only gets his treat if he can figure out how to get it out. My dog absolutely loves this game.
Ruger has three of these. He keeps one upstairs, one in his kennel and has one in our bedroom.
The next few toys are going to be cow toys, but you can get any kind of animal you want. For me cows are my favorite animal so they are now Ruger’s favorite too.
Do any of you dog parents hate when the squeaky toys just make much noise? It gives you a headache but your dog is happy, right? Well get this dog toy and you will not regret it, Ruger loves this toy and I cant hear the squeaker so he can play with it all day long.
- Last but not least is one of my favorite tools. Being able to wash your dog without putting them in the tub.
The Bissel pet bath is truly my favorite. I thought for sure Ruger would be scared of it, but he sits still the entire time and lets me wash him. That is not something he does when in the bathtub, at times it takes both my husband and me just to keep him in the tub. This is a less messy, easier way to clean him and dry him and worth every penny.
Having an inexpensive camera for when we are away has worked so well for us! This camera allows us to not only watch Ruger but speak to him as well. All of this can be done right from your phone. You can also record, take pictures and save it all on your phone as well. When we first installed this camera, we were able to see what Ruger does when he knocks all of his water out of his water dish.
Being a dog mom is the best thing that ever happened to me. I love that he is always here for me and I can always be there for him. Is anyone else an obsessed dog parent??